Williams team principal James Vowles has admitted he was concerned about losing his two star drivers to rival teams in 2027 after the team made a slow start to Formula 1's latest regulation cycle.
Carlos Sainz and Alex Albon both signed contract extensions with Williams this week after their previous deals were due to expire at the end of the year.
Albon, who has been at the team since 2022, committed to a single year in 2027, while Sainz, who joined from Ferrari last year, has signed a multi-year deal.
Vowles had sold both the idea that Williams, which finished fifth in last year's constructors' championship, could make a leap forward under F1's new regulations this season.
But in reality the team faced delays in the production of its car and arrived at the first test with an overweight and underperforming chassis that has struggled to contend for points in the first half of the season.
"I was concerned about losing both because they are world championship-material drivers that deserve the opportunity to be fighting for podiums or more, and we haven't delivered that," Vowles said on Friday at the Dutch Grand Prix.
"And more than that, we had a scope of where we were moving to -- I think there's no doubt if you look to the outside world over the last few years, we've been slowly stepping forward, with last year being a blip that I think was too positive from where we were, but a step in the right direction.
"So for us to move backwards this year isn't just a surprise to the drivers, it's a surprise to everyone. And that will always create the risk that we could lose them.
"What I'm thankful for is the moment we had problems, they stood by our side. It wasn't finger pointing, it was actually 'tell me what I can do' and they both came into the factory, spoke to the whole organisation and gave them a lift.
"Carlos did the same and Alex did the same this week once they re-signed, they wanted to make sure that they were here with the team. They want this to be a part of the team and the turnaround of this organisation and I'm thankful for that.
"But it's also an indication of what we've shown them in the back end of what's happened and what we're doing about it."
- Dutch Grand Prix: Kimi Antonelli fastest in sole practice session, Lando Norris second
- F1 title race: Can Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen or anyone stop Kimi Antonelli? Contenders assessed
- Max Verstappen on new Red Bull deal: I was 'closer to retiring than changing teams'
Vowles said the commitment by both drivers should be viewed as an endorsement in the long-term plans he has to return Williams to the top of the sport.
"I can't tell you everything that's going on behind the scenes but I can tell them," Vowles added.
"And if they are re-signing it will give you an indication that there's a lot of change ongoing and they believe in what the future looks like and that belief is incredibly important whether it's for team members or for anyone in the outside world."
Vowles said retaining Sainz and Albon had already impacted work at the factory by giving added hope and stability within the team going forward.
"That consistency is important because the team is really maturing and changing and as much as you can keep consistent, especially in your driver line up, it becomes desperately important in order to keep building on that," Vowles said.
"Probably the best way to summarise it to you is the factory, there was a weight lifted off it this week as the result of it and I've seen them move forward at a much faster pace as a result so the belief is real and tangible."
