The NRL rarely stands still.
Between NRL training sessions, media appearances, and behind-the-scenes conversations, new storylines often begin to emerge before the weekend arrives.
Throughout the week, ESPN will be gathering notes, insights, and updates from around the competition heading into Round 25 of the NRL.
Atkinson owns axing and fullback switch
Daniel Atkinson has taken ownership of his recent stint out of the Dragons' NRL side as the playmaker embraces an unexpected opportunity at fullback.
Atkinson returned to first grade at No.1 against the Tigers following a late injury concern for Clint Gutherson and has retained the jersey for this weekend's clash with Canterbury.
"Obviously, I wasn't playing my best footy and I deserved what I got," Atkinson shared.
"I went away, worked hard on my craft, worked hard off the field too, and I'm happy I put my best foot forward on Sunday."
While Atkinson has predominantly played in the halves, he said the freedom of fullback was something he was enjoying.
"I can't replicate what Gutho does. I can only do what my strengths are.
"Gutho's a one-in-a-million player, but I know what my strengths are and I've got to play to them."
With Kodi Nikorima arriving in 2027 and competition for spots set to increase, Atkinson isn't looking too far ahead.
"I haven't looked too far [into] 2027. I'm trying to get back on the pitch."
Guler exits Dragons early
Guler has informed his Dragons teammates that he will depart the club early to link up with Wakefield Trinity for the remainder of the Super League season.
Guler was already due to join Wakefield from 2027 but addressed the Dragons playing group on Tuesday to reveal he would bring his time at St George Illawarra to an early end.
Dragons youngster Dylan Egan admitted the news caught the playing group by surprise.
"That was probably a bit of a shock for us today," Egan shared.
"He came into our meeting and sort of told us that he was obviously going over there and finishing off the year."
Daniel Atkinson described the reaction as one of "mixed feelings" after everything the playing group had experienced together this season.
"We've gone through a lot this year and he's gone through it with us," Atkinson said.
"To see the opportunity him and his family could get moving overseas, it's a huge move.
"I'm just happy for him and his family. New beginning, new start. He deserves it."
Fegai opens on Castelford uncertainty
Mat Feagai admits the uncertainty surrounding Castleford is sitting in the back of his mind as he prepares to make the move to Super League in 2027.
Feagai revealed his management has largely handled communication surrounding his move and said he was due to speak with the club's owner for the first time this week.
"I've actually been letting Damo [Damien Cook] look after everything," Feagai admitted. "I think I'm talking to the owner tonight, which would be my first time."
Asked whether the headlines surrounding his future club had been difficult to ignore, Feagai conceded: "A little bit, yeah."
"It is sort of in the back of my mind. I'm coming in here every day, so that's honestly just been my main focus - being happy and being here."
Despite preparing to leave the Dragons, Feagai said his priority was finishing his time at the club strongly.
"I love this club. It's given me a lot. They've done a lot for me."
Perth Bears win race for Zac Lipowicz
The Perth Bears are set to win the race for rising forward Zac Lipowicz, with the former Panther agreeing to join the NRL's newest franchise.
ESPN understands Lipowicz has agreed to join the Bears from the 2027 season, with formalities still to be completed, after attracting significant interest from clubs across both the NRL and Super League.
St George Illawarra had emerged as another leading contender for the 24-year-old, while Wakefield Trinity, Leeds and Wigan were among the Super League clubs interested in his services.
However, Perth have emerged as Lipowicz's destination, with the forward set to become another piece of their inaugural NRL roster.
Lipowicz has enjoyed an impressive 2026 campaign with Catalans Dragons after leaving Penrith, establishing himself as a regular in the French club's forward pack.
The move will bring Lipowicz back to Australia after just one season in Super League.
Sudden death for Bulldogs
Harry Hayes says Canterbury have entered sudden-death territory as the Bulldogs fight to keep their finals hopes alive over the final three rounds.
Back-to-back losses have left the Bulldogs needing victories, beginning with Saturday's clash against the Dragons, but Hayes insists the pressure hasn't dampened the mood within the group.
"We know we need to win every game. Sudden death for us," Hayes said.
"We'll get one this week and keep pushing on."
Despite Canterbury finding themselves in an unfamiliar position after playing finals football in each of the past two seasons, Hayes said the Bulldogs were embracing the pressure.
"I think we love it," he said.
"We're used to that pressure as a club. We've played finals in the last two years as well, so we'll take that into it."
Hayes also insisted the Bulldogs wouldn't become distracted by the other results required to keep their season alive.
"We know it's there, but we can't control that. We can only control what we do on the field for the next three weeks."
Kikau's simple message
Viliame Kikau has urged Canterbury to strip their football back to basics as the Bulldogs prepare for a crucial clash with St George Illawarra.
With Canterbury's finals hopes hanging in the balance, Kikau said his message to the playing group was not to overcomplicate the task ahead.
"The bigger the games, the bigger the occasion. I just want to keep the message simple," Kikau admitted.
"Stick to our processes, trust the system and we go again."
The premiership-winning forward said Canterbury couldn't afford to become distracted by the other results required to keep their finals hopes alive.
"There's no need thinking about the Penrith and Broncos game if we're not going to win this one," Kikau said.
"My whole focus is just for this week."
Walsh facing surgery as World Cup hopes take hit
Reece Walsh's 2026 NRL season is over after scans confirmed the Broncos superstar suffered a high-grade syndesmosis injury in Saturday night's loss to the Warriors.
Walsh will meet with a surgeon on Monday and is expected to undergo surgery, with Brisbane placing his recovery timeline at up to eight weeks.
The injury not only rules Walsh out of Brisbane's remaining games but places a major question mark over his availability for Australia's World Cup campaign, which begins against New Zealand on October 15.
An eight-week recovery would take Walsh virtually to the eve of the tournament, leaving the Kangaroos with a significant decision to make around the reigning Clive Churchill Medalist.
Walsh suffered the injury in a hip-drop tackle from Warriors fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, who was sin-binned and subsequently charged over the incident.
