Barcelona boss Hansi Flick 'not worried' about Julián Álvarez situation

play
Mourinho: Rodri would have been the icing on the cake for Real Madrid (0:33)

Barcelona coach Hansi Flick insists he's "not worried" about the Julián Álvarez situation as the club's search for a new striker drags on with just over a week to run in the transfer window.

Álvarez is Barça's top target to fill the gap left by Robert Lewandowski, but ESPN reported this week that the Spanish champions have parked attempts to sign the Argentina international due to Atlético Madrid's reluctance to sanction an exit.

"I know you don't want to hear it, but I don't want to speak about Julián," Flick said ahead of Barça's LaLiga opener against Elche on Sunday.

"It's the situation and I don't want to speak about this."

Barça had hoped Atlético's stance on Álvarez would soften after the former Manchester City forward told ESPN earlier this summer of his desire to leave the club.

However, they have refused to budge, angering the player's agent, who believed he had an agreement with the club's CEO Miguel Ángel Gil Marín for a transfer.

"Never ask a liar why they lied," Fernando Hidalgo posted in a cryptic message on Instagram on Saturday.

"To explain it, they'd have to lie again."

With Lewandowski, Ferran Torres and Marcus Rashford all leaving the club, Barça have lost 54 goals in respect to last season.

Anthony Gordon, Karim Adeyemi and Jesse Bisiwu have all arrived to bolster the attack, but the club continue to scour the market for a new No.9.

"I'm not worried about that," Flick insisted when asked again about Barça's failure to land Álvarez or another striker heading into the new campaign.

"[Sporting director] Deco and I, we speak every day. We want to make the team stronger; this is our job. It's not about one player or me.

"Only Deco and I and a few people know exactly what we want. This is important. Deco makes a fantastic job."

The lack of a striker could see teenager Hamza Abdelkarim start against Elche after the Egypt international netted four goals in preseason.

"Hamza did a great preseason," Flick said. "He's a No.9. He's young and he has a lot of potential and also he scored goals. This is the important thing in this position and he's doing a good job. "We have many options. Of course I know [who will play as the No.9], but it's a surprise tomorrow."

Rodri, who will not be available against Elche, and João Cancelo became Barça's fourth and fifth signings of the summer this week.

Beyond a striker, there could also be more movement in defence before the transfer window closes, although the arrival of a new centre-back or full-back would depend on exits first.

- If Barcelona want a striker like Julián Álvarez, only a few options match up
- Barcelona complete signing of João Cancelo on free transfer
- Big questions, predictions for Barcelona, Real Madrid as LaLiga campaigns begin

Youngsters Marc Casadó and Héctor Fort are both expected to leave in the coming days, while Flick also refused to shut the door on the possible departures of Jules Koundé and Alejandro Balde.

"This is a situation that we make a lot of changes, [so] maybe we have to wait until the end of the transfer market," the German responded when asked if the duo were non-transferable.

Pressed on Balde, who has been linked with Manchester United this week, he suggested he could be open to letting the left-back leave.

"It's a difficult question," he said when asked if he was counting on him. "Balde has huge quality. For me, what I said before is important: Do you have the conviction to compete for your position?

"This is what I want to see from every player. This is so important because we need everyone. I need everyone 100% committed."